A delicious, hearty Italian soup that's perfect for cooking in your pizza oven.
Great for using up stale bread!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- handful chopped fresh parsley
- 1L (1 3/4 pints) chicken stock
- 225ml (8 fl oz) water
- 2 (400g) tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 200g (7 oz) shredded cabbage
- 1 potato, peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 (400g) tins cannellini beans
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 6 slices stale ciabatta
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Cook the onions, garlic, celery and carrot until the onion is soft.
- Stir in bay leaf, parsley, chicken stock, water, tomatoes, thyme, cabbage, potato and beans.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for about 40 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a 4 litre casserole, place 1/3 of the mixture over the bottom. Layer 3 of the stale pieces of bread over the top. Place another 1/3 of the soup mixture over the bread followed by remaining 3 slices of bread. Top with remaining 1/3 of soup.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and bake for 15 minutes in the pizza oven, or until soup is bubbling and cheese is light golden.