A quick and easy, but very flavoursome tomato sauce - perfect for topping your pizza dough and making your favourite pizza with.
Equally nice with pasta dishes.
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 3 medium cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 28-ounce can crushed red tomatoes or passata
- zest of one lemon
- Combine the olive oil, red pepper flakes, sea salt, and garlic in a cold saucepan. Stir while you heat the saucepan over medium-high heat, saute just 45 seconds or so until everything is fragrant - you don't want the garlic to brown.
- Stir in the tomatoes and heat to a gentle simmer, this takes just a couple minutes. Remove from heat and carefully take a taste (you don't want to burn your tongue)...If the sauce needs more salt add it now.
- Stir in the lemon zest. Perfect for topping your pizzas with.